Google has a very simple interface with the user. You enter the terms you want to search for and Google presents the results after you hit Search . Google searches millions of websites on the backend and presents you the most relevant results according to its algorithms. Since the database which Google searches is very huge , therefore , it is very important that we search intelligently to get the best results. Another question is the reliability of the information. How do we separate the legitimate sites from the sites that are less reliable or are questionable. Here is a simple tutorial to help you make the best of your time while searching for your information online.
Simple Rules :
- Search for specific terms . The more targeted your keywords are , the better your results will be. It also means that you should search with the least possible keywords to get better results.
- The words priority matters to Google. The first words in your search phrase are given more priority in the search results.
- Spell your key words correctly .
- Singular and plural words would bring different search results.
- You can use Advanced Search in Google to look for a specific file type , dates , language or any particular sites. You can also get specific in a lot of other matters in Advanced Search.
Use Search Operators:
Make use of the Search Operators to further refine your search. The following search operators are most common .
- Add quotation marks around your key words to force Google to return just the results that contain all the keywords . “California dogs ” will result search results which contain both the words whereas without the quotes pages containing any of the two words are likely to be included.
- AND operator works only when capitalized . It tells Google to include terms on both sides of AND .
- OR operator also works only when capitalized. It will force Google to bring search results with any of the terms connected by OR operator.
- + is an operator for inclusion. It forces Google to include the word coming after it in the search results. It must be used before the keyword without spaces.
- – is used for exclusion. It tells Google to omit pages which contain the word coming after – . Again it should be used before the keyword without spaces.
Interpreting Search Results:
- Each Search result is represented by a link to the page and a small text from the page. Before clicking on any search result , read the title and the text of all the ten search results and do not just click on the first search result.
- Also read the website url in green and try to judge the genuiness of the website. Unusually long or complex urls are generally an indicator of a site that is not in good standing.
- Google also inserts its ads subtly hidden among the search results which are generally at the top or on the right side. With a very small care , you can notice those text ads and avoid these.
- If clicking on the search result leads you to a page that has changed , your best bet is to click on the Cached Page which will load faster and will be exact version of the time when Google crawled.
- If you see a page that requires login , avoid it because it will require you to first create an account to access the content.
- Avoid spam web pages . You can generally see these web pages by carefully reading the small text snippet down the search link. Spam pages just display advertisements and will not be having any reliable content.
- Avoid pages that sell something. If you are looking to buy a particular thing , then these might be of interest to you.
- For evaluating the quality of information on a web site , follow the AAOCC principle of University of Berkely . AAOCC stands for :
- Authority ( Who is the publisher or the author and how qualified he is on the subject )
- Accuracy ( Does the author or publisher offers any evidence to support the conclusions drawn )
- Currency ( Is the information latest and current )
- Coverage ( Is the information related to the subject you are searching for )
With these simple tips , you should be able to search better on google and find your information a lot speedier on google. If i say in one word , it would simply mean : Search intelligently and use common sense.