If you have suspicions that your roommate or someone else has been using your computer secretly in your absence , then you can get the evidence quite easily . It would be , however , preferable that you always password protect your computer or install applications like Prey to catch your suspect red handed . If you have not done so , then , having a look at your computer’s event logs will help you investigate and confirm your suspicion. Windows has a built in program called Event Viewer . Here is how to access it :
- Click on Start button , type “Event Viewer” without quotes and press Enter button on your keyboard.
- Double Click Windows Logs and Click on System .
- Right click System and select Filter Current Log
- In the pop up Window , choose Power-Troubleshooter from the Event Sources and press OK
- Click on the Events which appear suspicious and find more details in the middle pan .
In order for this trick to tell you if someone secretly used your computer , you will need to have good idea of the time when you suspect your computer was misused. Other possible things to check include Recent Documents , internet browser history , cache and other such locations . It would be , however , wise to install an anti-theft programe like Prey .